In lieu of hot veggies, I like to make side salads to go with dinner in the summer. Hubby isn’t a big fan of green salads so I switch it up now and then.
This bright salad combines the sweetness of ripe watermelon with the salty tang of feta and kalamata olives. The sweet/savory dressing brings it all together for yumminess in every bite.
Variations: Any tomatoes will do; I like the yellow for the contrast in color. You can use an English cucumber and leave the skin intact.
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 cup fresh basil, julienned
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onions
- Combine all ingredients in a jar or shaker and mix thoroughly. Allow to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before dressing salad.
- 4 cups cubed seedless watermelon (approximately half of a mini-watermelon)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 of a cucumber; peeled, sliced and quartered
- 1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives
- 1 cup (4 ounces) diced feta
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and toss gently.
- Drizzle dressing over salad and toss again gently.
- Serve immediately.
- Note: If you are not going to serve immediately, watermelon juice will pool in the bottom of the bowl. Drain some out before adding the dressing.