This is a delicious, hearty vegan breakfast that is made the night before and ready to eat right from the refrigerator. I’ll make this when we are at sea in warm climates and the crew needs a quick meal going on/off the sunrise shift.
Oats are among the most nutrient-dense foods, rich in carbs and fiber but also higher in protein and fat then most other grains. Chia seeds are a great source of omega-3 fatty acids, fiber, antioxidants, iron, calcium and protein. Staying fueled and “regular” is important when off-shore sailing and the ingredients in this recipe fit the bill nicely.
I made this version with fresh strawberries but dried fruit would work well as it would soften in the liquid overnight. All other ingredients have long shelf lives and don’t require refrigeration. Additional toppings are nice, but not necessary. All of these ingredients are available at our local Grocery Outlet, which features an outstanding organic selection at amazing prices.
Variation: Almond, cashew or cow milk, or a combination, can be used instead of coconut milk. Feel free to substitute blueberries, peaches (canned or fresh) or other fruit for the strawberries. The syrup from the canned fruit can be substituted for the syrup.
- 1 cup organic rolled oats
- 1.5 cups organic coconut milk (or other milk of your choosing)
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 cup chopped strawberries (or other fruit)
- Additional toppings: sliced strawberries (or other fruit), chia seeds, sliced almonds (or other nuts), shredded coconut, extra syrup.
- Combine oats, milk, chia seeds, vanilla and maple syrup and mix well.
- Fold in chopped fruit.
- Refrigerate at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Spoon into dishes and add toppings.
Go To Tuesdays are recipes from products purchased at the Alameda Grocery Outlet, 730 Buena Vista Ave.
Please let me know if you made the recipe and liked it or would suggest changes. And also feel free to suggest future recipes.