I take great pride in making colorful, nutritious meals but often don’t have time for prep or marinating. Thanks to our local Grocery Outlet I can always find fresh meat ready to pop into the oven. Last week I featured Tyson’s Orange Chicken Strips, this week it’s Urban Turban’s Garlic & Pepper Chicken Thighs.
Usually we prefer to grill our chicken, but it’s been pouring rain the last month so I’m using the oven more for cooking with the bonus of warming the boat. I didn’t get the brown skin I’d like because I didn’t leave the chicken under the broiler long enough, but it was juicy and delish anyway!
I love cauliflower rice! It’s a nice substitute for pasta and potatoes without the carbs. I didn’t want to just sautee in olive oil for aesthetics … white with skinless chicken and peas would look boring and unappetizing. So I diced up some carrots and sprinkled on turmeric (which has healing qualities as well as adding a nice yellow color). Voile!
This was my first time roasting sugar snap peas and using as a side on it’s own. Usually, I sautee with other veggies or use raw in a salad. These turned out crisp and yummy and I’ll definitely be letting them stand on their own in the future.
The total meal cost $13 … $3.25 per serving! This bargain hunter loves her Grocery Outlet!
Variations: Flavored olive oils always add a nice twist to just about any dish. Diced garlic or shallots could be sauteed before adding the carrots, and you could eliminate the turmeric or use different spices.
- 24 oz Urban Turban Garlic Pepper Chicken Thighs
- 12 oz Cauliflower Rice
- About 12 baby carrots, sliced into small pieces
- 8 oz Sugar Snap Peas
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- Turmeric , Kosher Salt & Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place chicken thights on a roasting pan or rack over cookie sheet. Put in oven and set timer for 10 minutes.
- Toss peas with 1 tablespoon oil, spread on tinfoil lined cookie sheet and sprinkle with kosher salt.
- Put in peas in oven when timer goes off. Reduce heat to 350 and set timer for 15 minutes.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a deep pan.
- Add sliced carrots, sautee for 1 minute.
- Add cauliflower rice and cook for five minutes, stirring frequently. Season to taste with turmeric,
- Reduce to simmer and cover.
- Plate chicken and peas, then rice.
A few other Grocery Outlet dishes served last week included shrimp ramen, nacho’s for the Super Bowl and egg-in-a-french-toast-hole (made by hubby and was scrumptious!).
Go To Tuesdays are weekly recipes from products purchased at the Alameda Grocery Outlet, 730 Buena Vista Ave.
Please let me know if you made the recipe and liked it or would suggest changes. And also feel free to suggest future recipes.
One thought on “GO To Tuesday: Baked Chicken Thighs with Cauliflower Rice & Roasted Snap Peas”
Chicken thighs are the only part of the chicken I use. They’re cheaper and so much juicier than breast. And I love the tip for coloring up the cauliflower rice. I’ll do that from now on!