Pickled peppers add zing to sandwiches and are used in many Asian and Mexican dishes. This recipe combines just the right amount of sweet and heat and are tasty eaten right out of the jar as a snack or with cheese and crackers. I’m a fan of savory martinis and think I’ll add a slice to my next dirty martini with my usual olives.
No boiling of jars is necessary and they will keep in the refrigerator for up to a year. The 1 lb bag of Serrano peppers was only $1.29 at the Alameda Grocery Outlet and with the other ingredients the total cost was about $5. I made four 8-ounce jars ($1.50 each at Michael’s) from this recipe, which I gifted to friends for the holidays. You don’t have to tell anyone what a great bargain they are!
Variations: I used Serrano peppers but Jalapeno’s can be used to take the heat factor down a notch. You can also experiment with different types of white vinegar for different flavor profiles.
- 1 1/2 cups white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 8 garlic cloves
- 1 lb Serrano peppers
- Combine the vinegar, water and sugar in a saucepan and mix until completely dissolved.
- Continually stir over medium heat until the mixture reaches a soft boil.
- Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- Slice the garlic cloves into very thin pieces.
- Slice the peppers into 1/4 inch pieces, discarding the stems.
- Fill clean jars half way with peppers, add a few garlic slices, more peppers and then more garlic.
- Pour vinegar mixture on top of the peppers and garlic and seal the lid tightly.
- Refrigerate for at least three days for the full pickling flavor.
- IMPORTANT: Wash your hands thoroughly with warm, soapy water after cutting the peppers. Do not touch your face or use the restroom until doing so or you will be in in loads of pain!
A few pics of other great finds at our Grocery Outlet this week … Delish assortment of cheeses and dips for an al fresco cockpit lunch, humus/turkey roll-ups, and scrumptious smoked salmon – vacuum packed with a three-year shelf life for $4.99! I’ll be heading to GO this week to stock up before they are all snapped up!
Go To Tuesdays are weekly recipes from products purchased at the Alameda Grocery Outlet, 730 Buena Vista Ave.
Please let me know if you made the recipe and liked it or would suggest changes. And also feel free to suggest future recipes.
One thought on “GO To Tuesday: Easy Pickled Peppers”
Pingback: GO To Tuesday: Super Easy Chicken Quesadillas | Vivo O Sonho