Variations: You can play around with flavored oil olives such as lemon, garlic or cayenne to change the flavor and also add herbs. Put pine nuts, finely diced bell peppers or black olives in the well before adding the olive oil.
- 1 15-ounce can of garbanzo beans (or chick peas), drained and rinshed
- 2 cloves of garlic (we like garlic … if you are not a fan, go with 1 clove or omit)
- 1/4 cup good olive oil
- Half of a fresh lemon
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons good olive oil for drizzle before serving
- Paprika for garnish (optional)
- Combine all ingredients except olive oil for drizzling and paprika in a food processor and blend until creamy.
- Taste. Add small amounts of olive oil and reblend if you desire a creamier or thinner consistency.
- Transfer to bowl and make a well in the center of the hummus. Drizzle olive oil into the well ad sprinkle with paprika. Serve with pita chips, crackers or cut up veggies such as celery, bell peppers and carrots.