Summertime means barbecue-time, but sometimes hubby wants a break and this is a quick one-pan, easy clean-up meal.
Fresh corn is abundant in the summer and is so sweet that it is delicious eaten raw! Here in California we get it straight from the farm at Farmer’s Markets and can be kept in the fridge for up to 6 days if left in the husk and wrapped in damp paper towels. We love it best grilled in the husk and slathered with butter and sea salt, but have been trying to eat healthy so I came up with a few recipes for corn salad sides that complement almost any protein.
You can make these year-round with canned or fresh corn, and can also roast the corn in the oven or on the barbecue before cutting the kernels off the cob. These are great to take to potlucks and are served cold. Super easy and the bright flavors are always a hit.
Salsa Chicken Ingredients:
- 4 chicken breasts
- Package of taco seasoning
- Container of your favorite red or green blended (not chunky/pico de gallo) salsa
- 1 cup of finely shredded cheese (I used a Mexican blend)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Optional toppings: finely diced jalapeno, cilantro, green onions
Salsa Chicken Directions:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Sprinkle taco seasoning on both sides of chicken and place in a lightly greased baking pan. Pour salsa over the chicken.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until juices run clear.
- Turn off oven, sprinkle 1/2 cup cheese on each breast and return to oven until melted.
- Top with dollops of sour cream, finely diced jalapeno, chopped cilantro and/or green onions.
Avocado Corn Salad Ingredients:
- 2 ears of fresh corn, kernels cut off the cob
- 1 thinly sliced green onion
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 ripe avocado, diced into small pieces
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and refrigerate before serving.
- Can be made the night before and will keep in the fridge for up to four days.
- 1 bag of shredded cabbage
- 1 ear of fresh corn, kernels cut off cob
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 thinly sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/8 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise (optional)
- Mix orange juice, olive oil, vinegar and mayonnaise together and let sit in fridge for minimum of 15 minutes. You can eliminate the mayonnaise if you want a vegan option or like it less creamy. You can also play around with adding more or less of the orange juice and vinegar, depending on the tartness or sweetness you prefer.
- Combine cabbage, corn, cilantro and green onions and toss with dressing. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Can be made the night before.